I believe one of the greatest pleasures in life is trying new things. I love undergoing new experiences and creating as many “firsts” for myself and others as I can.
So today, I am super excited to share one of my “firsts” with you!
I have been nominated for the Liebster Award thanks to the fabulous Peyton over at Patience & Pajamas!
Before I go on about the Award, I want to give you a little insight to my relationship with Peyton.
I have known Peyton for almost a year now (a year in August) and she has changed my life in more ways than she probably knows. We met on Instagram, when both of our accounts (more so mine than hers) were young and starting out. We have grown and learned so much since then. She inspires me with her drive, makes me laugh, and sends me the best stuff from all across the internet. Might sound like little things, but isn’t that what life’s all about?
Peyton has helped me improve my appreciation for life and push myself towards healthier living every day. She has also become one of my best friends.
Let me add here that Peyton and I have never met in person. Snapchat, Facetime, and texting can do a lot, but I can’t wait for the day we meet up.
People can say what they want about the effects the Internet has had on our lives, but I’ve met some extraordinary people because of it.
Now about the Award:
It has 5 parts
- Explain what the Liebster Award is
- Share 11 Facts about yourself
- Answer 11 questions from the person who nominated you
- Give 11 questions for those you nominate to answer
- Nominate more bloggers to join in
Eleven questions isn’t required, as some bloggers change-up the number. I’m going to do my best to come up with 11 questions worth answering for my friends.
What is the Liebster Award?
I just found out about it recently, but I love the concept of this. Bloggers nominate bloggers they love to share a bit about themselves. It was created by bloggers to allow them to share some love with fellow bloggers!
It’s a great catalyst for the #CommunityOverCompetition movement, and allows for so much love and positivity to be shared!
Plus, it allows readers to connect more with the person behind the posts! And hopefully, find some more bloggers they love!
11 Facts about me
- Pizza and ice cream are my two absolute favorite foods
- Parks and Recreation is my favorite show. I aspire to be Leslie Knope
- I will be majoring in Environmental Policy and eventually double-majoring in Spanish in college
- I’m from the great state of New York
- I love to read. Harry Potter and Matilda are my two favorite books (I’m a Hufflepuff)
- My favorite sport is basketball.
- I was Class President all 4 years of High School
- I have 2 brothers, one younger and one older. I also have a niece
- Manatees are my favorite animals
- I live for beaches and sunshine
- There is nothing I love more than meeting new people
11 Questions From Peyton
1. Where were you when you decided to start your blog?
When I think about it, my blog was a long time coming. I actually started a (super lame & embarrassing) website in 5th grade, but ended it in 7th. I have always loved words. I won 3 spelling bees in elementary school, and loved reading. Reading and writing always made me feel better. In 10th grade I started to figure out who I was due to health-related depression, and when I discovered I was an introvert, a lot of things started to make sense. I realized I needed to do something for myself. I created this to lift myself out of a dark place. I was in my bed one late night in February, and said, you know what? I deserve this. Doing it for myself. And so I did.
2. What is one thing you wish you could say to every reader who lands on your site?
You, and only you, have the power to improve your life! I know at first it doesn’t seem like it, but everything you do with your time is your choice. Life is a journey. Yes, obligations and such get in the way sometimes, but when it becomes too much, it’s time to really examine those obligations. Take a real look at your life, decide how you will improve it, and do it! You really can. My blog is me doing that, and hopefully inspiring you too, as well.
3. If you could instantly become fluent in any language, which language would you choose and why?
Only one!! Ah! I love languages so much. My first instinct was to say Spanish, but I will be earning a degree in that, so I’ll pick another. In real life, Chinese as I have heard it’s one of the hardest. Only to be followed by Latin, but I will not pick that one because it’s a “dead language.”
4. Picture your dream home: is it big or small?
My dream home vision changes almost daily. I don’t need a big house, because I will then fill it with unnecessary items. Ideally, I would like 3-4 very small houses in different places across the US that I could go between. A small house allows for more interpersonal interaction, and makes you think about the stuff you are purchasing because you can’t just hide it away. I really just want a nice outdoor space to entertain and an inside that was created with meaning.
5. If you could only access one of the following for the rest of your life, which would you choose: Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter?
I think I’d have to go with Instagram. There’s no potential for discovery on Facebook, and it can be hard to connect with people on Twitter. Instagram has all of those capabilities. Plus, Instagram allows for people to create such amazing artwork. I love seeing what people create with it.
6. Stripes or polka dots?
Stripes all the way! Half my closet already consists of black & white stripes; it’s almost my signature pattern at this point.
7. Who is your biggest inspiration?
If you had asked me this a year ago it’s you would have received a very different answer. Last summer, I worked for the first time at a local summer camp, and my life changed forever. There is nothing on earth that gives me as much motivation and drive as the desire to make kids smile. There is some sort of magic in their laughter that I just want to make happen for each child. So, I don’t have one person, but I want to improve the world for kids.
8. What is your favorite movie of all time?
Matilda by Roald Dahl. At first I thought I was crossing my own back on this one, because Matilda was originally a book, and I always like the book better than the movie. However, I have read the book 3 times, seen the movie at least 10, and had the privilege to see the musical, and I have never before seen such a flawless transcription between storytelling mediums. The movie follows the book almost exactly, and the musical had a twist, but it was so fitting I could do nothing but love it. The story of Matilda will forever hold a special place in my heart.
9. What are your feelings on the rain? Like? Dislike? Indifference? I wanna know.
Oh I could write a novel on all my feelings about rain. I could listen to it forever. I love how it can vary in intensity and temperature. I love to watch it, especially when it is accompanied by a storm. It gives me a great excuse to read books. I like rain because it leads to rainbows, and breaks the humidity seal. It’s also super cool to go swimming while it’s raining and listen to it hit the surface from under the water. I only dislike it after weeks straight of nothing else, or when it interferes with plans I have.
10. Do you follow professional sports? Which is your favorite?
I don’t follow professional sports as much as I’d like to. However I always watch the NBA finals, and any March Madness games (not professional haha, but still). Basketball is definitely my favorite. I’ve played it my whole life and it’s so fun to see what talent we have here. My favorite team is the OKC Thunder.
11. What is your favorite dessert?
I’m so happy this is a question! So until very recently, I had such a hard time answering this because I am a huge dessert/sweets person. The biggest contenders are ice cream, cheesecake, or anything chocolate. There are just too many good ones to choose from, or so I thought. I had always leaned toward ice cream and couldn’t figure out why. I was talking to a friend about this and she gave me some profound knowledge: ice cream is the best dessert because it can take like every other dessert. I mean if you think about it: cheesecake, pumpkin pie, s’mores, chocolate chip cookie dough, brownie – she couldn’t have been more correct. My mind was blown. Therefore, ice cream is my favorite dessert.
11 Questions for My Nominees
- What’s one of your favorite smells?
- What’s your favorite thing to learn about?
- If you didn’t have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time?
- If you could master any skill instantly, what would it be?
- What is one thing you love about yourself?
- Tell us about your music taste! Love music, hate music, favorite artists, least favorite genre, etc.
- What is something you would rate 10/10?
- Where’s one place you would you love to visit? One fictional place?
- Coffee or tea? Or neither?
- Do you have any pets? What would you have if you could get (another) one?
- What can make you smile no matter what is going on?
I nominate the lovely…
Clicking their name will bring you to their Instagram, and their blog name will bring you to their site!
This is a wonderful group of girls that I have followed for a while now and really inspire me. I hope they can do the same for you!
I hope you have fun with this!
Have an amazing day